Google Search

Saturday, November 7, 2015

I/O Function

Data can be exchanged directly between an I/O module and the processor.
 Just as the processor can initiate a read or write with memory, specifying the address of a memory location, the processor can also read data from or write data to an I/O module.
 In this latter case, the processor identifies a specific device that is controlled by a particular I/O module

In some cases, it is desirable to allow I/O exchanges to occur directly with main memory to relieve the processor of the I/O task.
In such a case, the processor grants to an I/O module the authority to read from or write to memory, so that the I/O memory transfer can occur without tying up the processor.
This operation, known as direct memory access (DMA).

No comments:

Post a Comment